Monday, June 29, 2009

YOU are naturally great...

"You are naturally great and your potential greatness is ever ready" - Christian Larson

There are days and weeks when life can seem quite challenging, for all of us. It's interesting though because those times are when the best ideas and goals are created. It is in the times you are faced with one hundred things at once, called ten thousand times each day with the "important" calls that can't wait, and have sick children and partner... that you end up realizing how wonderful your life truly is.

This past year has been interesting because it has been one of economic let down for many. In April, the Oregon Unemployment Rate was 12% and is now starting to slightly decrease. Nike, one of Oregon's staple businesses, let go of 500 employees. That came as a shock to many of us, but for some who I spoke with on the Nike campus, they took it as a sign for a new adventure. One Monday in the Baby Boot Camp Nike Class I asked the Baby Boot Campers how they were doing, and how their spouses were. One responded sharing, "My husband found out Thursday is his last day, and while we are shocked, he is excited for what he is now able to try and face next. He actually realized that he can now spend more time with our kids for the Summer and then start a new path". I was so excited to hear that as not many feel that way at first.

5 years ago Jack was let go with his company. Makenzie was only 6 weeks old and I was on maternity leave from my job. It was a gift to us, we were actually quite excited. We took his job loss as a challenge, most definitely, but also as a sign that we were off to a bigger and better adventure as a family of 3. It was that Summer that we flipped a coin and moved to Portland. This August it will be 5 years since that coin toss. We haven't looked back since ...we felt that it was an opportunity to see what greatness we could unfold within ourselves and our stengths as individuals and as a team.

To imagine if I didn't take the leap of faith and start Baby Boot Camp while being new to the city seems unfathomable to me now. While it has been a ride that is ever changing, it has also been one that led me to find so many incredible and supportive people to surround myself with. The athletes in class, the instructors, the talented business owners I network with, and the families who attend class daily...wow. And be able to grow and change at my pace since am my own boss; that ishuge and beyond exciting.

When I look back to the growth that has occurred within myself since starting my businesses, I also look at how the growth has occurred within YOU, my clients and peers.
When many of you started exercising again, you didn't think doing a traditional push up was possible. You didn't know if you could juggle parenting and working simultanously. You weren't sure if having one child, or two (or three or four) was your future, but you grew and found out what worked for you. While some days may be tough to attend class, you make it and leave having exercised harder than you thought possible two hours before. What is now apparant on many of your faces is how you have become stronger physically and mentally, facing the challenges each day head on. You have more power witin yourself than you probably realize and arebeyond naturally great; you are naturally incredible!

Believe it, know that with change the best things happen. And when they happen, be prepared for the magical opportunities change brings.

Erin Shirey

No comments: